Playwrights must be high school students in grades 9 through 12 (age 19 or younger as of March 5, 2017) and a resident in a southern state.
Scripts should be:
- One Act between 10 and 30 pages long
- Have no more than eight characters, preferably no more than 3 women
- Be original – no adaptations from other authors’ work or from other media
- Be written by a sole author – no collaborations
- Be typed with numbered pages and securely fastened. Student name or school should be on information sheet only – not on any script pages
- Include removable information sheet
- Include a separate page with character list and descriptions
- Be accompanied by an electronic copy on a jump drive. Multiple students’ scripts in one teacher’s class can be on one jump drive
No screenplays or musicals will be accepted.
Playwrights should keep a copy of their scripts, as scripts cannot be returned.
Deadline March 7, 2017
Entries should be mailed to:
Young Southern Writers’ Project
Alabama Shakespeare Festival
1 Festival Drive
Montgomery, AL 36117
ASF retains the right to publish the finalist and winning plays on its website, and to arrange readings/productions in the calendar year following the contest.